An absolute favourite from 26 Grains, this Blueberry Porridge is the perfect pre-workout breakfast.
Ingredients (serves 2):
FOR THE PORRIDGE
- 100g rolled oats, soaked in 250ml water for at least 30 minutes
- 250ml unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
FOR THE BLUEBERRY COMPOTE
- 250g blueberries
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mixed seeds - such as flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
- Few strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons micro beetroot sprouts (optional)
- First make the blueberry compote: place the blueberries, water, maple syrup and lemon juice into a small pan and allow to come to the boil.
- Once bubbling, take it off the heat and set aside.
- Place the porridge ingredients, including the water the rolled oats have been soaked in, into pan over a medium heat and cook for 3–4 minutes, stirring continuously, until the oats have come together.
- Spoon into two bowls and add the toppings in this order: a tablespoon of blueberries in a line down the middle with a pool of juice around the edge, then the seeds, strawberry slices, coconut flakes, almond butter and micro beetroot, if using.
This was one of the first porridges on the menu when 26 Grains opened in June 2015 and it was an instant hit! It's a firm favourite, as blueberries are easy to find all year round.
Big thanks to Alex for sharing this delicious recipe with us!