Ingredients: (Makes 1 loaf)
• 1 cup quinoa
• ½ cup chia seeds
• 1 cup diced onion
• ¾ cup sun dried tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 3 tablespoons lime juice
• 60ml olive oil, plus more for frying
• 1 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
• ½ cup mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds
-The quinoa and chia seeds need to be soaked the night prior to baking the bread. In one bowl, cover the quinoa in water. In a separate bowl, soak the chia seeds in precisely 2 cups of water, this will act as an egg replacement.
– The next day, preheat the oven to 180°C and line loaf tin with baking paper.
Rehydrate the sun dried tomatoes if necessary by soaking in warm water.
Gently fry the onions in olive oil until browned.
– Drain the water from the quinoa. Add the quinoa to the food processor along with the chia egg, maple syrup, bicarbonate of soda, lime juice and olive oil.
– Blend until a dough starts to form. You want to keep whole pieces of quinoa.
– Roughly chop the rehydrated sun dried tomatoes.
– Transfer the bread mix into a large mixing bowl, and stir in the onions and sun dried tomatoes, along with plenty of seasoning.
– Pour the mixture into the tin and scatter with seeds before placing into the oven.
– The bread needs to bake for roughly 1 hour. It should feel firm once ready.
The bread is best kept in the fridge overnight to set further and enjoyed the following day.
Big thanks to Goodness Guru for this delicious Mediterranean inspired gluten free (quinoa-based) loaf! http://www.goodnessguru.co.uk